Divorce FAQs

Our Birmingham Lawyers Can Answer Your Questions

When you are going through a divorce, or if you and your spouse are thinking about filing for divorce, attorneys at Shaw Family Law know that you likely have a number of questions. At our office, we have over 30 years of experience handling numerous divorce cases throughout Birmingham, AL. This has given us the knowledge to answer many of your concerns, no matter what your situation.

  • How long will my divorce take?

    This is a complex question. Every divorce case is unique and each couple has different circumstances that can prolong proceedings. More time is involved in cases where a couple has a high net worth or when children are involved, as issues of property division and custody will have to be agreed on by both parties before your divorce can be settled.

  • Who will get custody of my children after my divorce?
    Custody issues are determined by what is in the best interest of your child. In situations of abuse or neglect, the court may rule to place the child in the safest environment that will provide the most stability for their upbringing. Courts also favor parents who are willing to work with each other and cooperate to help ensure that their children’s lives aren’t drastically altered. In these cases, shared custody may be the best course of action.
  • My spouse and I own multiple properties. How can I make sure our property is divided fairly?
    In cases where spouses have a high net worth, settling property can be complex. Dividing assets, houses, vacation or rental properties, and high-value personal property is usually one of the biggest stumbling blocks that most divorces encounter. Retaining a dedicated Birmingham divorce attorney can help represent your best interests in court or against your spouse’s lawyers.
  • What should I do if my ex is not following the terms of our divorce?

    When your ex-spouse fails to pay child support, fail to appear in court, or fail to follow the terms of your divorce agreement, they can be held in contempt. In these cases, the offending party may faces jail time, penalties, and may even have their rights to child visitation revoked.

  • What if my situation has changed?
    After your divorce has been finalized, the law allows for modifications based changes in circumstance, such as the loss of a job, a major move out of or within the state, or to account for a second of subsequent marriage. To modify your agreements, it is important that you seek the advice of a skill Birmingham family lawyer to help you in or out of court.