Child Support Shaw Family Law is a Recognized Leader in Divorce and Family Law

Birmingham Child Support Lawyer

Critical Legal Support For Your Family

Family courts in Alabama operate under the belief that both parents have a legal responsibility to take care of their children. In practice, this means that the parent who does not live with their children, the non-custodial parent, is required to pay child support to the custodial parent. It is the expectation of the court that children should be afforded the same standard of living that they enjoyed prior to their parents' divorce.

How is Child Support Determined in Alabama?

Child support arrangements are not made until child custody has first been established. Once primary custody has been granted, it becomes the responsibility of the other parent to make monthly child support payments.

The amount of child support owed is determined by:

  • The number of children the couple has together
  • The monthly income of the non-custodial parent
  • The monthly income of the custodial parent
  • The amount of child support already being paid
  • The cost of day care and health insurance

The dispensation of child support can either be made directly from parent to parent or it can be withheld from the paycheck of the non-custodial parent and distributed through the Alabama Child Support Payment Center. These same-day payments can be made via check, direct deposit, or credited to a debit card.

Compassionate Family Law Attorney

"During my 30 years in the practice of Family Law, I have seen it all. The diversity of my clients and their particular circumstances has given me a broad exposure to the various circumstances and events that ultimately bring a person to a divorce lawyer. My clients are beneficiaries of those years of experience, and the expertise I have gained along the way."

- Paul Shaw


In Alabama, child support obligations typically end when a child reaches the age of majority, which is 19. However, there are some exceptions:

  • If the child is attending college and not working, the non-custodial parent is still obligated to pay support.
  • If the child has severe special needs, the judge may extend support obligations into adulthood.
  • The family court may make an exception to extend payments or terminate them early.

To learn more about ending your child support payments, contact our Birmingham law firm (205) 259-7650!


The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998 makes it a felony for parents who flee to avoid child support payments. Any parent can be charged with a crime under the Act if they:

  • Travel or move to another state to avoid child support payments
  • Fail to make child support payments for more than one year
  • Accrue child support arrearages of more than $5,000

Experienced Family Law Advocacy in Birmingham

If you are going through a divorce, or have already gone through a divorce, and have questions about child support obligations in Alabama, talk to a Birmingham divorce attorney at Shaw Family Lawyers. We want to help you lay the framework for a healthy future, one that provides financial and emotional stability for your children, maintains their quality of life, and allows you to co-parent them in the best possible situation. We work closely with our clients from start to finish, to get things done right the first time.

Contact Shaw Family Lawyers at (205) 259-7650 to schedule an appointment today.

Continue Reading Read Less

Why Choose Shaw Family Law, L.L.C.?

  • Av® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
  • Named a Top Family Lawyer by Birmingham Magazine
  • Listed in Super Lawyers® by Business Alabama Magazine
  • Top 40 Under 40 by Birmingham Business Journal
  • Recognized by Bhm Biz Magazine as a Top Flight Attorney
  • Recognized by Mid-South Super Lawyers

Contact Shaw Family Law, L.L.C. Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy