Contempt Cases Shaw Family Law is a Recognized Leader in Divorce and Family Law

Alabama Divorce: Contempt Cases

Enlist the Help of a Birmingham Divorce Attorney

In the state of Alabama, anyone who fails to comply with the terms of a divorce decree can be charged with contempt of court. The most common violation of a divorce decree is the failure to pay child support. Other violations can include the failure to pay spousal support or the failure to honor a court-mandated visitation schedule.

If your former spouse is not complying with the terms of your divorce or has petitioned the court to charge you with contempt, Shaw Family Law is available for consultation. Our Birmingham divorce attorneys have over three decades of family law experience.

What Happens to Those Found Guilty of Contempt?

Once an Alabama family law court has charged someone with contempt, that person will be notified of the charges and requested to appear at a court hearing. If they fail to appear, the court can issue a warrant for their arrest. Should they be found guilty of noncompliance, they can be punished with fines and imprisonment—though the court's first objective is to force them into complying with the terms of the initial divorce decree. In some instances, the court will also require the guilty party to cover the legal costs borne by their former spouse.

To be found guilty, it must be proved that the accused:

  • Knew the terms of the divorce decree
  • Willfully violated the terms of the divorce decree
  • Had no legal rationale for violating the terms of the divorce decree

Commonly Asked Questions

What are the consequences of not paying child support in Alabama?

In Alabama, failing to pay child support as ordered by a divorce decree can lead to being charged with contempt of court. If found guilty, the non-compliant party may face penalties such as fines and imprisonment. The primary goal of the court is to ensure compliance with the divorce decree, and sometimes the guilty party may also be ordered to pay the legal expenses of their former spouse.

Can Shaw Family Law assist with divorce decree violations in Birmingham?

Yes, Shaw Family Law can provide assistance if your former spouse is not adhering to the terms of your divorce decree in Birmingham. With over three decades of family law experience, our attorneys can offer guidance and representation in cases where there are allegations of contempt or if you are facing charges yourself.

Compassionate Family Law Attorney

"During my 30 years in the practice of Family Law, I have seen it all. The diversity of my clients and their particular circumstances has given me a broad exposure to the various circumstances and events that ultimately bring a person to a divorce lawyer. My clients are beneficiaries of those years of experience, and the expertise I have gained along the way."

- Paul Shaw

A Petition for Rule Nisi

Alabama has a unique name for the filing of contempt charges related to divorce. It's called a Petition for Rule Nisi. Because it is a separate action from the original divorce, it requires the payment of a filing fee. To learn more contempt cases in Alabama, talk to an AV® Rated Birmingham divorce lawyer at Shaw Family Lawyers.

Continue Reading Read Less

Why Choose Shaw Family Law, L.L.C.?

  • Av® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
  • Named a Top Family Lawyer by Birmingham Magazine
  • Listed in Super Lawyers® by Business Alabama Magazine
  • Top 40 Under 40 by Birmingham Business Journal
  • Recognized by Bhm Biz Magazine as a Top Flight Attorney
  • Recognized by Mid-South Super Lawyers

Contact Shaw Family Law, L.L.C. Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy